Today is my second Easter with my little Starkville family. The Easter bunny found us again this year tho!
I'm starting to think Easter is my favorite holliday. Though I'm not the finest Christian and am not at church this morning. I can never forget the joyful songs of Christ the risen King. The little girls in Easter dresses the boys in miniature bow ties and ladies in their pastels and the men behaving like gentlemen.
Mama always had and eater basket that was over the top and we usually got a kite, which after Easter Sunday lunch with Mimi, Grandad, and Aunt Cheryl, we would fly with the cousins at Grandma Schultz's house. I'm sorry to report the staple Easter meal was usually that of Lamb! But it was always so good!
In the weeks of lent leading up to Easter, Grandma and Aunt Carol used to keep a stockpile of springy candies and toys like jump ropes and silly putty and if Whitney and I made an Easter bunny nest of clover and any wild flowers we found and came back later it always had a little prize in it for us. Needless to say we made hundreds of them I'm sure!
In this time in my life with everything changing it is hard not to reflect on the things that were the same for so long, the things that shaped me. Now is the time I am starting my own traditions and making memories of my own. Like the hobby of having chickens passed on to me by Jason and Katie, with their help and persuasion David and I have started a little flock and this spring David has begun to build a beautiful coop. One Easter in the future I may be dyeing the eggs my own chickens have laid.
I can't help but feel content with where I sit today! Literally, with a fat Nellie Bean on my lap snoring, and figuratively with a wonderful family and friends who support me. I look forward to a small dinner with some of our Starkville family, Michael and Alexa. Happy Easter and God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment