Monday, June 13, 2011

Pilgrimage

Mondays are a free day, some of the group is still away on whatever trip they took this weekend and most are finishing their sketches for Hans' class. I worked hard to finish my homework yesterday so I could have today for myself. And that's exactly what happened, I slept til 9, which was great, and then took my time getting ready. Then I explored the city to find a piazza to draw for my final project, which i found, then I set out to find the Sacred Heart School here in Genova. It was a pretty nice hike up a large staircase, and walk up a winding road but I did find it and received a tour from the head mistress. In her words it was a young school founded in 1919, and is co-ed with boys and girls in integrated classes. It was a really nice feeling to meet an alumni from so far away. She had gone to school in Rome, a school that no longer exists and she was a disappointed as I was that I was unable to see the painting of Mater in Rome in the Trinità dei Monti' at the top of the Spanish Steps, so she was kind enough to show me a picture the school had of the actual fresco. I was introduced to a class of children and they introduced themselves to me in English, I was very impressed at how kind they all were. I didn't take many pictures because I was afraid to seem rude or touristy, so all I have are the few of the exterior.

I'm back at the villa now and hope to start a few sketches for next weeks homework. So I can be on top of things and enjoy my trip to Monoco next weekend without worrying about having homework to do.
Here are some pictures of the Istituto del Sacro Cuore.

Meg

3 comments:

  1. I love keeping up with you this way!! I hope you are having a blast. The pictures are beautiful! Miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweet girl! Things are so good here, they'd be better with David and the pup and all my friends but then I guess then it would be home. Ha ha three more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks gorgeous! Aw Sacred Heart!

    ReplyDelete